Wednesday 7 November 2018

Misplaced Omniscience

Living in the moment - it is what we do, even when our thoughts are drifting back over past events, or trying to envisage or shape possible futures.  How much do we know, in this moment, of the infinite previous moments that have helped build and shape the present we live in?  We certainly cannot know our future, and can do no more than estimate possible futures.

As an author, we are, in effect, God - we know everything that each of our imaginary characters does not know, or knows only partially - we can reach out to any point in the time line of our story and amend acts, thoughts, words, and emotions, and bring to our story the logical consistency that the reader expects from us.

I could ask why the readers, in the face of the many apparently random facts and logical inconsistencies of their own lives, expect me, a mere scribbler, to produce a mini-universe that is consistent and logical, but that would be so hypocritical, given the similar demands that I have placed on so many other authors over the decades.  To be fair, I also find myself expecting such consistency and logic from my political representatives - and look how often that comes to fruition.

So, expect it, we do - thus, when working your way through that crucial second draft, keep in mind that spelling and grammar errors are possibly the least of the problems you need to be alert to.  Your editor, with pedantic eye and punishing pen, will find those, should you travel that far.

No, what you need to beware of are those leakages from your omniscient, authorial knowledge to the limited understandings held by your characters.  It is something I am constantly on watch for, as it is so easy to allow the protagonist to know something that he/she should not - at least, not at this point in the story.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that I need to be especially vigilant for this problem as I slide back and forth along the time line of the story I am working on.  Does anyone have an easy, guaranteed method of avoiding this sort of mistake?

No comments:

Post a Comment